marquee

Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others only gargle. You gargled didn't you??

Monday, August 23, 2010

4.04 A.M. Artistic Suicide

There comes a time in every artists life when they'll have to make sacrifices,
when they'll have to meet and deal with rather indecisive clients,
when they'll basically have to alter their entire idea to suit the liking of the client.

I expected to meet said people someday in my life.
But little did I know that I'd meet them so soon in my journey as an artist.
Nor in my wildest dreams did I imagine that said annoying clients would be members of my extended family.

Let me explain a short back story just so you get a clearer picture:












A couple of weeks ago I get a call from my cousin asking if I could help with some deco aspects of her wedding.

Obviously I obliged.. what kind of cousin would I be if I said No!??

She explained she'd like me to do a Kolam (it's an Indian thing where we use flowers or colored rice to draw out intricate designs at the entrance of the venue at any auspicious functions).

I thought, Fair enough! that's pretty easy .. why not?

Then a week later I get another call from my cousin, asking if I would mind helping her with her reception deco and drawing out another Kolam at the Ballroom Foyer.

Again I obliged, why not? It's not that hard!








but that was all before today!

This morning I was jolted awake by a call from my cousin (no it wasn't super early or anything I just have horrible sem break sleeping habits)asking if I mind being picked up in the next 15 minutes to be taken to the ballroom to finalize some deco things.



Lil did I know .. she'd bring her mom and her 3 aunts along.


and lets just say that these 4 sisters are amazingly close .. but when it comes to making decisions, there's pretty much ZERO co-operation between the 4.


so the discussion began..


and my head started throbbing..


and I zoned out..


and zoned back in..

and the arguments were still being thrown around..







It probably the longest 2 hours of my life!


and then they came to the Kolam.. I was supposed to measure the size of the Kolam.


another 45 minutes worth of arguments unfolded in front of me.

My word! I felt like my head was SERIOUSLY buzzing!

FINALLY took the measurements after another cousin of mine stepped in and said "do what you think is right. we trust you!."


the argument stopped at that point. HOWEVER! the suggestions didn't.



each one of them with their different ideas, all thrown out for me to catch in a net. and I swear at that point my "idea-catching-net" had a hole in it. So everything they said literally slipped away unnoticed.


But measurements were taken.. and Diagrams were made..







and now on Saturday, 28th August 2010, between 12pm - 5pm (just before the reception) I will be committing what I'd like to call .. AN ARTISTIC SUICIDE! .. because I have agreed to draw out a full colored 9 x 10 FT Kolam in the Foyer of The Dorsett Regency.


Goodbye world, I may not come back sane.

No comments:

Post a Comment